Top 4 Best Horse Betting Apps May 2023
Get more information about the rest of the best sports betting apps coming to Kentucky
Best Horse Betting App - TwinSpires Racing
TwinSpires Racing is owned and operated by Churchill Downs Incorporated, which is headquartered here in Kentucky. TwinSpires provides great new customer offers, an excellent user experience, and is widely considered one of the best in the horse race betting business.
Don't take our word for it! Try for yourself. Sign up using code BET200 to get $200 in bonus cash and find out why TwinSpires is our #1 app for placing bets on horse racing.
As the second leg of the Triple Crown approaches, now is a great time to start placing your bets on the 148th Preakness Stakes.
Best Horse Betting App Experience - FanDuel Horse Racing
FanDuel is a powerhouse in the online sports gambling world and the FanDuel Horse Racing App is no exception.
As with all of their products, FanDuel's horse racing app offers a great user experience and is simple and straightforward to navigate. FanDuel's partnership with TVG has proven to be a great way for them to apply their best-in-class technology to provide horse racing fans with another place to wager on horse racing.
Other Horse Betting Apps & Sites
AmWager and Bet365 are also popular horse racing betting apps due to their user-friendly interfaces, providing a seamless betting experience for users of all skill levels. They offer comprehensive coverage of domestic and international races, ensuring that enthusiasts never miss an opportunity to place a wager. These platforms also boast robust security measures, instilling confidence in bettors as they engage in transactions. Additionally, they provide valuable insights, handicapping tools, and expert analysis, helping users make informed decisions when placing bets on their favorite horses.
Popular Horse Race Betting Types
The odds for horse races are a reflection of the perceived probability of a particular outcome, such as a horse winning a race. They help bettors gauge the likelihood of a specific result and determine the potential payout for a successful bet. In essence, odds are the bookmakers' or the betting market's estimation of each horse's chances, which are influenced by factors such as past performance, track conditions, and the horse's form. Understanding the relationship between various odds and probability is crucial for making informed betting decisions and maximizing your chances of success in betting on any horse race.
Single Horse Wagers: Win, Place, Show
To make the most of your sports betting experience, it's essential to understand the various types of bets you can place. Here are some common Kentucky horse racing bets:
- Win: You bet on a single horse to finish first.
- Place: You bet on a horse to finish first or second.
- Show: You bet on a horse to finish first, second, or third.
Apart from these simple bets, there are more complex exotic wagers like exacta, trifecta, and superfecta that will require you to pick multiple horses.
- Exacta: An exacta bet requires the bettor to select the first and second-place finishers in the correct order in one race. This wager is more challenging than a simple win, place, or show bet, but it usually offers higher payouts.
- Quinella: In a quinella bet, the bettor must pick the first and second-place finishers in the same race, but the order does not matter. This type of wager is easier to win than an exacta but generally has lower payouts.
- Trifecta: A trifecta bet involves selecting the first, second, and third-place finishers in the correct order in the same race. It is a difficult bet to win, but the potential payouts can be quite substantial.
- Superfecta: In a superfecta bet, the bettor must correctly predict the first, second, third, and fourth-place finishers in the exact order. This wager is challenging to win, but it can result in significant payouts.
Finally, multi-race wagers require a gambler to correctly predict the outcomes of multiple races.
- Daily Double: A daily double bet requires bettors to pick the winners of two consecutive races. This type of parlay bet adds an extra layer of difficulty but can offer attractive payouts for successful bettors that select the correct two horses.
- Pick 3: A Pick 3 bet involves selecting the winners of three consecutive races. It is harder to win than a daily double, but the potential payouts can be larger as you're selecting three horses to win three different races.
- Pick 4: In a Pick 4 bet, the bettor must choose the winners of four consecutive races. This wager is more challenging than a Pick 3 but can offer even greater payouts.
- Pick 5: A Pick 5 bet requires bettors to correctly predict the winners of five consecutive races. The difficulty increases with each added race, but so does the potential reward.
- Pick 6: In a Pick 6 bet, the bettor must select the winners of six consecutive races. This wager is one of the most challenging bets in horse racing, but it can yield life-changing payouts for successful bettors.
Pari-Mutuel vs Fixed Odds Betting
Odds play a crucial role in betting on horse races online. They not only indicate the probability of a horse winning a race but also determine your potential payout. Generally speaking, there are three primary types of odds to consider when picking your winning horses:
- Fractional odds: Commonly used in the UK and Ireland, these odds are displayed as a fraction, e.g., 5/1.
- Decimal odds: Popular in Europe, Australia, and Canada, these odds are shown as a decimal number, e.g., 6.00.
- Moneyline odds: Also known as American odds, they are either displayed as a positive or negative number, e.g., +500 or -200.
Pari-mutuel betting is a popular form of wagering in horse racing, where bets are pooled together and the winnings are distributed among the successful bettors. Unlike fixed-odds betting, where the odds are set by the bookmaker, the odds in pari-mutuel betting are determined by the total amount of money bet on each horse. This system ensures that the payout for each winning bet is based on the popularity of the chosen horse and the overall betting pool, making it a dynamic and exciting wagering option for horse racing enthusiasts.
Fixed Odds Betting
Fixed odds wagering is a popular and straightforward betting method commonly used in horse racing. When placing a fixed odds bet, you agree on the odds at the time of placing the bet, regardless of any fluctuations in the market before the race starts. This allows bettors to have a clear understanding of their potential returns and removes the uncertainty of pari-mutuel betting systems, where odds can change based on the total amount wagered on each horse. Fixed odds wagering offers a sense of stability and control for bettors, enabling them to make more informed decisions and develop effective betting strategies.
Horse Racing Betting Tips and Trends
To identify a potential winning horse, it's crucial to consider various factors that influence a horse's performance. By carefully evaluating these elements, you can make more informed betting decisions and increase your chances of success.
- Form: The horse's recent performance history can provide insights into its current form and fitness level. A consistent record of strong finishes in recent races run may indicate a higher chance of success.
- Race Quality: The quality of the competition in a horse race can impact a horse's performance. Assess the other horses' abilities and past results to determine your chosen horse's prospects.
- Distance: Each horse has its preferred race distance. Analyzing a horse's performance over various distances can help you predict its potential success in a specific race.
- Surface: Horses perform differently on various track surfaces (dirt, turf, or synthetic). Consider a horse's past performances on the race track's surface type before placing a bet.
- Trainer: A skilled trainer can significantly influence a horse's success. Look for trainers with a proven track record and a history of preparing horses for similar races.
- Jockey: Jockeys play a crucial role in a horse's performance. Experienced, successful, and skilled jockeys may be better at guiding a horse to victory.
- Draw: The starting position (or draw) can impact a horse's chances of winning, especially in races with tight turns. Evaluate how the morning line draw may affect your chosen horse's performance versus other horses running in the event.
- Weight: Horses carry different weights based on factors like age, sex, and previous victories. Assess how the assigned weight may impact a horse's performance and stamina.
Horse Racing programs
Racing programs provide essential information about each horse, jockey, and trainer participating in a race, including statistics, previous performances, and race conditions. This valuable resource helps bettors make informed decisions and identify potential winners.
Managing your bankroll effectively is crucial for long-term success. Set a budget, establish limits, and avoid chasing losses to maintain a healthy financial balance and enjoy a sustainable horse racing betting experience.
Analyzing past performances of horses can reveal patterns and trends that may indicate future success. By examining factors such as track conditions, race distance, and competition level, bettors can make more accurate predictions about a horse's chances in an upcoming race.
Live betting and streaming
Live betting and streaming allow bettors to place wagers and watch races in real-time, offering an immersive and interactive experience. This feature enables bettors to make more informed decisions based on the unfolding events of the race.
A free bet is a promotional offer provided by some betting platforms, allowing new or existing users to place a bet without risking their own money. Taking advantage of free bets can help bettors build their bankroll and gain valuable experience.
The experience of a jockey can significantly impact a horse's performance in a race. By considering the jockey's past successes, experience on specific tracks, and compatibility with the horse, bettors can gain valuable insights that can influence their betting decisions.
Where to bet on horse racing
Kentucky Horse Racing Betting
Kentucky is home to some of the most famous horse racing events, such as the Kentucky Derby. Bettors can place wagers at licensed racetracks, off-track betting facilities, or through reputable online Kentucky sports betting apps and platforms that cater to Kentucky residents. Many of these online platforms offer a wide range of betting options, live streaming, and expert insights. Be sure to choose a licensed and regulated operator with the best Kentucky sportsbook promotions to ensure a safe and enjoyable betting experience.
US Horse Betting
Horse racing enthusiasts in the United States have numerous options for placing bets on their favorite events. State-regulated racetracks, off-track betting venues, and online betting platforms are all popular choices for US bettors. When selecting an online platform, look for one that is licensed, regulated, and available in your state, offering a variety of betting options, live streaming, and comprehensive race coverage. Top-rated US-based online sports betting sites, such as TwinSpires and TVG, cater to American bettors and provide a seamless betting experience.
UK Horse Betting
The United Kingdom boasts a rich horse racing tradition, and bettors have many opportunities to wager on races both domestically and internationally. High street bookmakers, such as William Hill, Ladbrokes, and Coral, offer in-person betting services, while an abundance of online betting platforms cater to UK bettors as well. When choosing an online platform, look for one that is licensed by the UK Gambling Commission, provides a wide range of betting markets, and offers live streaming of races. Some popular UK-based betting sites include Bet365, Paddy Power, and Betfair.
Blacklisted betting sites
When exploring options for the best horse racing betting sites, it's essential to be cautious of blacklisted betting sites. These are platforms that have been flagged by regulatory authorities or industry watchdogs for reasons such as unfair practices, non-payment of winnings, or inadequate security measures. By avoiding blacklisted horse race betting sites and choosing a licensed, reputable, and well-reviewed betting platform, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable betting experience. Conduct thorough research and consult trusted sources, such as online reviews and forums, to avoid falling prey to disreputable operators in the horse racing betting industry.
Types of horse racing for online betting
As you venture into the world of online horse racing betting, it's essential to understand the different types of horse racing that you may encounter. The three primary forms of horse racing include thoroughbred racing, jump racing, and harness racing, each offering unique challenges and excitement for both competitors and bettors alike. In the following sections, we will delve into the characteristics of each racing type, providing you with valuable insights to enhance your betting experience and knowledge of the sport.
Thoroughbreds are the most popular breed for flat racing events, known for their speed and agility. They are often featured in prestigious races like the Kentucky Derby and the Breeders' Cup.
Jump racing, also known as steeplechasing or National Hunt racing, involves horses navigating a course with a series of obstacles such as hurdles and fences. This type of racing requires a unique combination of speed, agility, and jumping ability, making it an exhilarating spectacle for spectators and bettors alike.
Harness racing features horses, known as Standardbreds, pulling a two-wheeled cart called a sulky. The horses are required to maintain a specific gait, either pacing or trotting, as they compete around the track. Bettors enjoy the tactical aspect of harness racing, as jockeys must carefully manage their horse's energy and positioning throughout the race.
Benefits of Horse Racing Betting
Horse racing betting offers numerous advantages, including a wide variety of wagering options, frequent events to bet on, and the potential for substantial payouts. It also provides an opportunity to delve into a wealth of data and statistics, allowing bettors to make informed decisions and develop winning strategies.
Betting On The Triple Crown Races
The Triple Crown is a prestigious achievement in American Thoroughbred horse racing, consisting of three iconic races: The Kentucky Derby, The Preakness Stakes, and The Belmont Stakes. Winning all three races in a single season is an extraordinary feat, as each event tests a horse's speed, endurance, and versatility. Since its inception in 1919, only 13 horses have managed to capture the Triple Crown, with the most recent winner being Justify in 2018. The rarity of this accomplishment adds to the excitement and allure of the racing season, as fans eagerly watch to see if a new champion will emerge and claim the esteemed title.
Kentucky Derby - 149th running
Held annually at Churchill Downs in Louisville, and thought of as the world's richest horse race, The Kentucky Derby is one of the most famous horse races in the world. Churchill Downs is the first leg of the Triple Crown series and has a storied history dating back to 1875.
Preakness Stakes - 148th running
The Preakness Stakes is the second leg of the Triple Crown, held at Pimlico Race Track in Baltimore, Maryland. Established in 1873, it is often referred to as "The Run for the Black-Eyed Susans" due to the blanket of yellow flowers draped over the winning horse.
Belmont Stakes – 155th running
The final leg of the Triple Crown, The Belmont Stakes, takes place at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York. Established in 1867, it is the oldest of the Triple Crown races and is known as "The Test of the Champion" due to its grueling 1.5-mile distance.
Other Popular Horse Racing Events
The Breeders' Cup
The Breeders' Cup is an annual series of championship horse races held at various locations in the United States, often including Kentucky tracks. The event showcases the best horses from around the world and offers high-stakes betting opportunities.
British Triple Crown
The British Triple Crown consists of three historic races for three-year-old thoroughbreds: the 2000 Guineas Stakes, the Epsom Derby, and the St. Leger Stakes.
2000 Guineas Stakes
The 2000 Guineas Stakes, held at Newmarket Racecourse in Suffolk, England, is a prestigious one-mile race and the first leg of the British Triple Crown.
The Epsom Derby, also known as the Derby Stakes, is the second leg of the British Triple Crown and one of the most prestigious races in the world. Held at Epsom Downs Racecourse in Surrey, England, this race covers a distance of 1 mile, 4 furlongs, and 6 yards, challenging the finest three-year-old thoroughbreds to demonstrate their speed and endurance.
St. Leger Stakes
The St. Leger Stakes, held at Doncaster Racecourse in South Yorkshire, England, is the final leg of the British Triple Crown. This race covers a distance of approximately 1 mile and 6 furlongs, testing the horses' stamina and determination.
Getting Started with Horse Racing Betting Sites
By understanding odds, familiarizing yourself with various bet types, and employing effective strategies, you can maximize your chances of successfully picking the horse that takes home the purse money. So, saddle up and embark on an exhilarating journey into the world of horse racing, where thrilling races and rewarding betting opportunities await you.
Best Horse Racing Betting Sites FAQs
The best online horse racing betting sites include TwinSpires, TVG, and Bet365. These sites are licensed, reputable, and offer a wide range of betting options, live streaming, and expert insights.
The best horse racing betting app depends on personal preferences, but top-rated options include TwinSpires, TVG, and Bet365. These apps offer a seamless betting experience, comprehensive race coverage, and user-friendly interfaces.
Online horse racing betting legality varies by jurisdiction. In many countries and states, it is legal, but always check local laws and regulations before placing bets online to ensure compliance.
To bet on horses online, you typically need to be at least 18 years old. However, the legal age may vary depending on your location. Be sure to check local laws and the specific requirements of the betting platform you choose.
Horse racing is indeed fun to bet on online, as it offers a wide variety of wagering options, frequent events, and the potential for substantial payouts. Online horse race betting platforms also provide convenient access to data and statistics, helping bettors make informed decisions.
Many horse racing betting sites allow you to watch the races online through live streaming features. This enables bettors to enjoy an immersive, real-time betting experience and make more informed decisions based on the unfolding events of the race.
Gavin Beech is a writer and contributor for BetKentucky.com and has worked in the betting industry for almost 20 years. Gavin is an experienced horse racing journalist, sports betting content writer and tipster. He has worked for some of the biggest online operators around, notably MailOnline and the Racing Post, where he is a regular on the Live Tipster slot.